Thursday, October 1, 2009

Horse chestnuts, and Glee

I picked up a handful of horse chestnuts during my last WP excursion - they are so beautiful, glossy and brown, and I couldn't remember for sure how and if they were different from regular chestnuts, which I have nice memories of eating warm on the street in Japan and elsewhere. It turns out that they are not edible and in fact slightly poisonous.


Horse chestnuts and leaves: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8340239@N07/3633779968/

The University of Minnesota link says that buckeyes are most prevalent, though often mistaken for horse chestnuts - which I may have done. When K, who is from Ohio, got married the May before last, we made hundreds of delicious chocolate-peanut butter buckeyes with only a visual relationship to the real thing.

Last night I watched my second episode of Glee on TV. Perversely, I was happy not to enjoy it as much as the first one I watched, since I don't really need to be tied to another guilty pleasure. Too much country music and actual show tunes on this one, and the plot seemed exaggerated without being as amusingly absurd. (Less Election, more High School Musical, although I'll admit to never having seen the latter.) Still, a good break from Economic Development Finance. I wonder how much of my textbook has been turned upside-down by the recent turmoil in capital markets?

No comments:

Post a Comment